Sunday, June 24, 2012

Social Networking Sites

Facebook:
Facebook is great, and it's the most popular social networking site for a reason.  As stated in my previous post, it has every practical form of electronic communication, like messaging, instant messaging, voice, and video.  I also like how they require(d) you to use their interface, although it can be customized.
I don't use Facebook as much as I used to, but I can see why people can waste hours and hours of time browsing it.

Myspace:
It was fun using this during high school / middle school.  My only problem isn't really with the site itself, more so the people that use(d) it.  Myspace allows a lot of HTML customization, so people throw on obnoxious, flashy designs with clashing colors making it hard to look at.  Then there were people that had music autoplay when you view their site, usually very loudly and thus shortening my lifespan.
The one thing I felt positive towards within Myspace was the music makers.  It was where unpopular artists could advertise their works without really imposing on others.  But currently I feel that YouTube is the spot for that.
Another significant problem was the "Top 8" which instilled lots of conflict with my classmates.  It was big news when people were rank 1, switched ranks, or added/removed from the Top 8.  Now that I think about it, it was very silly, but it was also what made it so popular.  Facebook even had a "Top n" application at one point, if I recall correctly.

Twitter:
Although I have not personally ever used this, I feel as though this is the best one out of this list of 4.  The simplicity may be restricting, but I really like the simplicity which prevents clutter and useless information.  The limit for tweets also promotes creativity - some people have long messages to write and they shorten it down in interesting ways.  It's like Facebook status updates... and that's it.  Those are usually the most interesting parts of Facebook anyway.

Xanga:
This was the blog-to-use during my high school.  I see very few people use it nowadays, but back then, I don't think people really had a variety of blog sites to use.  The community had similar problems with MySpace, but more tame in a sense.  There was a high level of customization available, but from my experience, Xanga users were much more experienced with social media than MySpace users, so they kept it under control.
Also, at some point, there were addons that people could use to show things like "who reads my xanga" in which some of my classmates made a big deal about.  Kid drama, in retrospect, was pretty entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment